Apple and Pear Crisp
- 2 pounds ripe Bosc pears (4 pears)
- 2 pounds firm Macoun apples (6 apples)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For The Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 5-6 slices of crystallized ginger (my addition)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel, core, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks. Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
For The Topping:Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is in large crumbles. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit, covering the fruit completely.
Place the baking dish on a sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly. Serve warm.
ala Ina Garten
-so i had 3 pears and 3 small apples so i used this recipe as a guide and adjusted as i saw fit. for example, i only used about 3T of butter as opposed to 2 STICKS like the recipe called for. it's one of those recipes you can play with. it came out damn tasty.