Monday, February 15, 2010

keeping the past alive


this christmas cactus is my GREAT grandmother's. for the past 30 or so years it's been living with my grandma in fortuna (humboldt county). she moved into a retirement home about two years ago and i inherited it. how old it actually is...i don't know...but i'm guessing around 50 years old. i'm sure it would have grown larger but the pot prevents it from expanding. i've contemplated transplanting it but i know i'll have to break this beautiful pot to make it happen. i just can't do it.

even thought the plant is full capacity in it's current home, it still manages to bloom and produce these beautiful pink flowers...always around valentine's day. it greets me each day outside my front door and helps to remind me of my past, my future and love.

No comments: